How to use the dictionary
Here is a short (quickfix) helpfile on how to use our dictionary.
- You can look for a word, either in English or in Arabic, the dictionary will return the exact word (if present).
- If you cannot type Arabic, use Yamli. You need to turn it on, then type any arabic word in western letters, eg: kitab, Yamli then gives you options in Arabic script to choose from.
- Once you have some words listed on the page you can:
- click on any word with link, english, arabic and switch between translations
- click on the root if any, to get a list of all the words with the same root
- click on the main form of the verb to get a list of all the verbs having the same conjugation
- click on 'sample' under the verb's main form to get an example of the conjugation of a verb of this exact from
How to search: (Ar-PHP)
By using the great libraries provided by Khaled Al-Sham'aa we already could make some improvements in the search. It catches now many spelling mistakes and drops the initial definite article if you write it accidentally.
The libraries can also find the stem of a word, drop pre- and suffixes, even prepositions. We use it to check if a word is in our dictionary. If it is found, you'll get the results.
If you still don't find the word and you are more advanced, you could try to find the root.
But since we don't have many words yet, the chance is quite big that we don't have the word and you can send us a mail, we'll add it within a few day.
file changed august 18, 2012